Sunday, November 28, 2010

and again

I have been feeling...meh lately...I haven't been as excited about the results of my workouts or where I am with fitness or nutrition, and though I have more free time lately, I have been slow with the blogging.  I had a good Thanksgiving, we went down to Uncle Bo's house in Red Springs (nope I can't point it out on a map).  I didn't go too crazy, John went back for seconds, and I just ate all his extra broccoli salad, so I wasn't terrible, but did have a nice little sampler dessert platter.  Friday morning we did a hopper deck workout at crossfit (so we pulled a random workout from a deck of cards) In the 10 am class we pulled tabata something else, so 8 rounds of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off each of pull ups, push ups, sit ups and squats. Pull ups I struggled a bit with, but didn't feel alone in my struggles, and push ups were a joke, everything else was fine.  I went home and had a leftover plate (the best part of holidays) and maybe ate too much. 

I then went to bikram class in the afternoon. I was a bit worried, as when I stepped in the room it felt warmer than the last class... (Reminder first class I almost died, second class I did much better, this is class #3).  There are 26 poses in total.  With my back issues, there are two I just was planning to sit out anyway.  There is one, that I know I am flexible enough for, I just feel too sweaty to get a good grip, and two that involve tucking your foot into the crook of your hip, which I am both too sweaty and unflexible for.  I made it through the first 5 poses the warming poses, then got lightheaded.  Then we got to the balance poses which I enjoy, but when I would lose my balance, I would get dizzy to stand still.  I sat out for a bit, then my knees started to ache, so I layed down (as I was told my options were to sit on my knees or lay down).  The instructor came over, and seemed very concerned, but I was doing better than the girl who started crying I guess... Once we got to the poses on the ground I did much much better and got through all the postures with the exception of those I planned to sit out.  Again I am not sure how I feel about this, while I do believe the heat has amazing flexibility benefits (I noticed an improved half moon after my first class), I don't feel that great about how my body feels in the heat.  This does however make me more conscious of the amount of water I drink which is a plus, and handling the heat can only improve fitness no?  I don't however get the "yoga high" I have experienced in other classes, probably because I am so stressed about staying alive in class, so while I do like to supplement crossfit with yoga, I might do better with a different yoga discipline I have 12 more classes to figure it out. 

Saturday I was more sore than expected in the glute area... We warmed up with spiderman walks and walking lunges which hurt a bit more than expected... The lift was clean and jerks.  For some reason, my back gets irritated with cleans, where it doesn't feel as bad with snatches.  I have switched my set up for snatch so wonder if my clean needs some tweaking...  I worked up to 105, but then ran out of time.  I was dreading the wod, 21-15-9 dumbbell cleans, and 50-40-30 double unders.  I think there is nothing worse than dumbbell anything.  The rxd weight was 25, I barely looked for a second set of 25s and then decided I could scale to 15s as this would keep me moving moreso than a heavier weight.  This took me a while cause I had to fight off the Idontwannas while I did it. 

My back.  Is doing funky tight things that I worry may just be a result of my sleeping position or mattress or pillow.  I foam roll daily and could ice a bit more.  I tried to get in with the chiro but he didn't return my text messages, so I will try calling the office this week to make sure I can get in for an appointment.  I need to get this resolved before the challenge as I would dnf for sure if deads were involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment