Wednesday, October 6, 2010

are you gonna swing that?

Monday's workout brought front squats, kettlebell swings and running. On Sunday night I overhear John making plans to ride with Ron to 8:30 crossfit (which he knows is my class of choice).  I told him we could ride together, but then when he didn't wake up on time on Monday morning, I regretted that decision.  We arrived a bit tardy with the class already warming up.  I jumped in (literally, for double unders) and then tried to do a little bit more.  I am usually the last one lifting, probably cause I like to take long breaks, so I don't like to start too late.  The strength work was finding a new 1 RM in front squats.  I worked pretty well through the warm up sets of 3 and then got to my onesies.  I was having trouble with my math, but had a goal of 180 as a new  1RM.  I did sets of one at what I thought was 150 but was really 140.  I got a little worked up and worried about 165, but hit that, but by then everyone was setting up for the wod.  I only really had time for one more lift.  Ideally I would have done 175 and then 180, but picked up the 180, got scared, screamed and put the weight down.  Sigh...I guess next time.  It is frustrating because it is all mental, for some reason it is scary to me to fail on them, but it is just about the failure, not a fear of getting hurt, because I know I won't get stuck under the bar (like I have in back squats)

The metcon was 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 heavy kettlebell swings and running 50 meters (though the 50 meter mark was half way to the 200 meter mark).  Prescribed swings were 52.  I felt like I could do it, one of the new guys looked at my kettlebell and asked if I was gonna swing that, so then I knew I could do it.  But on the 8 round, I had to drop it, so I dropped to an unmarked kettlebell, which we are thinking was probably 44, but then I went back up on the 5 round.  Next time all 52.  My hip and back have been out of whack lately.  I have been getting adjustments, icing and foam rolling but I guess not enough, so things like KB swings, wall balls, and olympic lifts aggravate it.  I am thinking adding more core work will help but we shall see.  I also had trouble breathing through this.  While I am not a strong runner, I think this may be cold related.  I have been developing something that won't turn in to a full fledged sickness, but have a headache that won't quit, and sore throat.  It is not enough to take medicine, just feel a bit crappy.  I took this morning off in favor of more sleep, so hopefully I can kick it by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment